Brace yourself: this is quite possibly the most delicious three-ingredient recipe you’ll ever have.
You can make this gluten-free (or not. Your choice) quite easily.
Brown Sugar Shortbread
Yield: approx. 36 cookies
1 c butter, softened
1/2 c light brown sugar (do it right. Pack it in the cup!)
2 1/4 c flour OR gluten-free baking mix (I used Arrowhead Mills for this. Have used 100% brown rice flour before, but it made them really gritty)
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Line baking pan with parchment paper. Dust a cutting board or the counter with flour/flour substitute and set aside.
2. Combine softened butter with light brown sugar with a mixer until light and fluffy.
3. Add in flour/flour substitute. Mix until well-combined.
4. Turn dough onto surface that was lightly dusted with flour/flour substitute.
5. Knead the dough until it becomes smooth, approximately 2-3 minutes. Shape into a ball.
6. Pat into approx 11″x11″ square or 12″x10″ rectangle with your hands. A long knife = handy way to form corners and keep the edges fairly straight.
7. Cut the dough into desired shape (triangle? bars? squares? I’m not the boss of you. Your choice) and prick entire surface with fork tines.
8. Bake for 25 minutes or until cookies are golden brown. Let cool before devouring.